Sunday, May 13, 2012

Musical Note Skirt

I can't lie, this last week has been a tough one - there's been a lot of stuff happening at work and I feel like I'm struggling to get through everything. It's been making me seriously tired, I was suppose to be going to a salsa and tango class on Friday night but I was just too tired to go - my brain was fried.

On Saturday I went to lunch with a friend and then had every intention of sewing away the afternoon - but instead I had a nana nap! I know some people like a nap on a Saturday afternoon - but I'm not one of them. I'm the type of person who won't sleep at all on a 13 hour plane trip, so to have a mid-day nap means I must have been totally shattered.

This afternoon I was feeling slightly more alive, so I went to a pink ladies event in the afternoon - it was a vintage hair and make-up party with a company called "The Vanity Case". I found the perfect red lipstick to go with my glasses, but the price is a little steep for me at the moment, but I think I'll have to get it sometime in the next month or two.

The one thing I felt like I did achieve this weekend was finish this skirt - it's a simple circle skirt I made with this tutorial, its the second time I've made a skirt using this tutorial. My first attempt can be found here, I made that skirt back in December when the sun was still shining.
I have had the fabric that this skirt is made from lying about for a while, I bought it at a sale at Arthur Toye Fabric (my local fabric shop). It's a type of craft cotton and I got the last 2 metres they had - I have been wondering what to do with it for the longest time. Then last Thursday I decided, to hell with it, I'm going to make a circle skirt! Here's a close up of the fabric.
Just a quick update on Made by Me May - I did wear one item I made myself every day this week. EXCEPT for Thursday night when Emi and I went out to a comedy show and I decided I wanted to dress up, so I put on a frock that I received in a craft swap last year. It was still handmade - just not by me. But other than that I have managed to wear something I have made myself every day this month. Unfortunately with the work related stresses I haven't been able to sew as much as I would like to over the past couple of weeks - but I guess sometimes you have to accept there is only so much you can do in any one day.

Hope you all had a lovely weekend xoxox

11 comments:

frockandrollonline.com said...

That skirt is SUPERB. Wow. I'd probably never be able to take it off!

Here's to a much more (hopefully!) restful week for you :)

Vintage Bird Girl said...

Such a cute skirt. I love the shape on you. I hope you feel recharged for the week ahead. Xx

Vix said...

I love that skirt, it looks brilliant on you and the print's so funky!
Hope you feel less stressed soon! x

cb said...

ooo yea! i love the shape! it is super flattering and with your boots! watch out! you look great! i wish i had more free time, i was telling tom i would make way more of my clothes.
xo,
cb

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

That's pretty good going, one item you made every day in a week. Cute fabric on the skirt - are you doing lots of twirls?

I'm sorting the swap - can you remind me where in the world you're based?

Meghan Edge said...

You know, for someone claiming to have a tough week, you look beautiful! I love that skirt! I need to learn to make skirts- I could use some separates. :-) Fab job.

What Sadie Did said...

Great work with the skirt - love the print. It's a fun print but totally wearable too!

And I know how you feel, I had a tough week (had another cold!!) and so spent a lot of the weekend hibernating - SO rubbish, but sometimes it's what you gotta do I guess!

Sadie xx
http://whatsadiedid.blogspot.co.nz/

Camelia Crinoline said...

It looks great. I love the fabric. When I went to Wellington I thought Arthur Toye was awesome. I bought quite a bit of fabric there. I hope this week is a better one for you.

Julia said...

Well done! Great fabric too.

Hopefully this week will be better xo

Wait Until The Sunset said...

YOU ARE SO SUPER CREATIVE!!!!

I love this skirt! I need to learn how to sew! I probably say that everytime I see your hand made goodies lol- really must get on to that!

Stacey said...

Love this! The fabric is really cute, and that skirt shape looks fantastic on you. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of that tutorial, it looks aces.